Friday, January 10, 2020

Mixed Conditionals Review

Mixed Conditionals Review

Instructions: Today you will review the mixed conditional. Complete the tasks below to practice the structure and use of this form.

Task 1: What is the use and structure of the Mixed Conditional?
Look at the examples of the different conditionals we have seen in this course. Then try to provide the same information about the mixed conditional.

1st Conditional Example: If I have free time this weekend, I will play soccer with my friends.
  • Use: Talk about real possibilities in the present or future. I think about real options and possibilities.
  • Structure: If + Present , Will + Present.

2nd Conditional Example: If I had more free time, I would study another language.
  • Use: Talk about alternative realities (hypothetical situations) in the present. I imagine something is different in the present and think about the consequences.
  • Structure: If + Past , Would + Present.

3rd Conditional Example: If I had woken up earlier, I wouldn´t have missed the bus. 
  • Use: Talk about alternative realities in the past. Something happened in the past but I imagine it happened differently and think about the probable consequences.
  • Structure: If + Had + Past Participle , Would + Have + Past Participle.

Mixed Conditional Examples
  • If I hadn't ordered the hot wings, I wouldn't feel sick right now.
  • If I had remembered to buy my wife a birthday present, she wouldn't be angry with me.
  • Use: _________________________________________
  • Structure: _________________________________________

Task 2: Let's make some examples.
Provide unique examples to complete the different parts of the mixed conditional sentences.
  • If I hadn't spent all of my money during Christmas, I would go out to eat tonight.
  • If I hadn't spent all of my money during Christmas, _______________________.
  • If I hadn't spent all of my money during Christmas, _______________________.
  • If I hadn't spent all of my money during Christmas, _______________________.

  • If we hadn't gotten lost, we would be at the beach right now.
  • If we hadn't gotten lost, _______________________.
  • If we hadn't gotten lost, _______________________.
  • If we hadn't gotten lost, _______________________.

  • If I had studied more, I would have a better grade in this course.
  • _______________________, I would have a better grade in this course.
  • _______________________, I would have a better grade in this course.
  • _______________________, I would have a better grade in this course.

Task 3: Let's create our own sentences.
Look at the following situations. What mixed conditional sentences can you make to talk about them?

1) I went to a seafood restaurant today and ordered a soup. I told the waiter that I was allergic to shrimp but when I ate the soup, I discovered it contained some shrimp. I had an allergic reaction and now I am in the clinic waiting to get an injection.
  • What sentences can you make about this situation?

2) We went out to a nice restaurant for a first date. I made a big mistake and ordered the garlic chicken. It was delicious but now my breath smells terrible and my date does not want to kiss me!
  • What sentences can you make about this situation?

3) I ate at a restaurant on vacation. The food was delicious and I loved everything except for the service. It took over one hour to get my food. For that reason I am giving them 3 out of 5 stars on my review.
  • What sentences can you make about this situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment